Major Math Competitions
Middle School Math Competitions
- MATHCOUNTSÂ -This competition is open to only middle schoolers and is a good starting point for young mathletes.
- AMC 8 -This middle school competition is a twenty-five question multiple choice test.
High School Math Competitions
- Lehigh Contest – This contest serves as a “try out test” for future, hopeful Lehigh Valley ARML team members.
- Muhlenberg High School Math Competition – This is a team high school mathematics competition in which two teams from a high school can participate.
- ARML Â – This team contest is held simultaneously at Penn State University and 3 other locations in the U.S. Â Students interested in competing at ARML with the Lehigh Valley team should find information here.
- AMC 10, 12– This competition is great practice for intermediate students. Â It is open to tenth graders and below, and twelfth graders and below, respectively.
- AIME/USA(J)MO– High scorers in the AMC 10 and 12 will be invited to participate in the American Invitation Mathematics Examination (AIME). Further, combined high scorers in the AMC 10 and AIME will be invited to take the USAJMO test, and combined high scorers in the AMC 12 and AIME will be invited to take the USAMO test. The USA math olympiad team will be selected from the top performers in the USAMO.
- PUMaC– This team competition competes at Princeton University. Â The Lehigh Valley ARML team takes several teams to compete.
- HMMT– This team competition competes at either Harvard or MIT each year. Â The Lehigh Valley takes several teams to compete.
- USAMTS – This online proof-based contest is an excellent introduction to mathematical olympiad type math.
- Math League– This is a monthly high school competition.